Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Homeless Mind


A pretty odd title, isn’t it? That’s one of the subheading in one of the first reading task from a lecture early this week, -to be exact, the first week of the real "back to school again after almost a decade" episode of my life. A 10-pages article took me 2 hours to finish. This time it’s not about the English (at least that's what I thought), it’s about the philosophical terms. It’s interesting that most of the arguments there are about existensialism, an issue I described as a high risk topic, because years and years ago I always found myself had sleeping difficulty upon reading those ideas of Sartre, Baudrillard (this one is post-structuralist I guess, not existensialist?), Kierkegaard and so on. My mind (or my brain, or my conscience) awoke, and kept thinking and working long after I read those sort of writing. They were running fast, I thought the synapses and cells and tissues were so productive in sending the electric pulses one another that they forgot they must have got rest in order to be functioned well the next morning. Fell asleep at 3 o’clock in the morning was normal when I read those things.

Imagine what phrase I read in the reading brick: "..the anomy of social movement correlates with metaphysical sense of homelessness in cosmos, which correlates with personal alienation on the level of consciousness". That’s when the writer wants to elaborate the concept of homeless mind, in which have caused modern people paradoxally feel being nowhere, lost orientation, thus need something, an anchor, an orientation from their ‘nothingness’ because they don’t have a strong ground where they can call home for their mind that travel or journey endlessly, being in constant movement since the beginning.

Check this one again: ".. ‘disorder’ and ‘order’ are statements of relations between a purposive perceiving entity and some set of objects and events; they are determined by individuals’ states of mind." (Bateson). My paraphrasing is: normal or abnormal is depend on how people define and decide what is normal and what is abnormal. Just because many people say it’s normal, doesn’t mean it’s normal from other’s perspective. The consequence is: schizoprenic might be normal to some extent (ever seen Beautiful Mind?). It’s about how one perceives something..Should I say welcome to the world of anti-structuralism and post-modernism ?

*Transferred from my old FS blog, 31 Jul 2008 -before it is forgotten*

No comments: